Friday, June 23, 2006

All stressed out and happy to blog

Right now I hear the words of the Australian National Anthem "Australians all let us rejoice for we are young and free", all I see is green and gold and all I feel is pride.

Pride for the fact that we have done it. We are through to the last 16.

The match was emotionally trying and it had just about everything except a streaker!

We had an early goal, we had comebacks (twice), we had crazy referee decisions, we had players from both sides sent off and we even had a player receive 3 yellow cards and not get sent off until after the match.

Today I thought I would share my thoughts in a type of log of the match, however things go a bit upside down and inside out during the second half. So here goes.

Pre match: I have been dozing on the couch but my alarm wakes me up and I listen to the pre match commentary. I am quite nervous and excited and contemplate sleeping and waking up to find out the result. But decide I HAVE TO WATCH THIS GAME!

Notice that Zeljko Kalac is starting in goals. Not a big fan as I think Swarz is in much better form. Kalac did not look good in the friendlies and has not played a lot as he is the understudy to Dida at Ac Milan.

0 mins: Game kicks off and the Croatians start ot hassle the Australian defence. They are pressuring for an early goal which is worrying as our passing looks poor and we do not have enough space t create some good play.

2mins: Damm we concede a freee kick in front of goal.

3 mins: @$%&% Croatia up 1-0 and it was a fantastic kick, a lot of keepers would not have been saved it. It was world class into the top right corner. CURSES
He deserves to celebrate after that sensational goal but I am not liking him

7 mins: Mark Viduka is gang tackled int he box and no penalty is given. GEEZ!!

For the next 30 or so minutes I was cursing in all languages i know. Croatia has gone defensive in their half and we seem to be dominating posession but can not get anything in the box. Kewell and Cahill both have chances but can not put them away. Graham Poll is pretty average today. Being English I think he may be slightly biased but I know it is because we are down.

36 mins: PENALTY to Australia for what looks like a handball of a push on tim Cahill. Man I ca not watch. Craig Moore comes to take the kick. It is not Viduka who has missed his last 2 penalties for Australia.

37 mins: GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL
Australia are back in contention for the final 16. Great kick and the keeper dived the wrong way. WHEW! Am not as stressed but I am hoping Croatia attack so we get gaps and can grab another to seal the match.
Moorey shows why he takes the penalties. The last time he scored internationally was against France

The rest of the half the Croatians are looking to attack and grab a goal. All I am hoping for is that we go into half time at 1-1 so Guus can have a chat with the boys. Jason Cullina is having a great match.

I am going through a roller coaster of emotions. I want them to win and this type of game reminds me of the Liverpool Champs League final. I cannot take too much of these, bad for the heart. My fingers are typing away on my phone as my friends and I are discussing about the game, abusing the ref and disagreeing about the merits of Harry Kewell.

The rest of the match I just could not take notes. I was a wreck and praying for Australia to get through. Metria is awake and in between getting ready for work she is watching what is happening.

56 mins: The goal keepoing blunder of the tournament. Kalamity Kalac (as I wil now call him) makes a poor attempt to save a ball and it bundles into the goal I am in utter disbelief about the goal and start to question Guus's idea to play him instead of Swarz. Kalac should never keep goals for Australia again. It was pathetic.

Its now end to end stuff and my neck is hurting from watching this. I am even getting tired from all the running I am witnessing. Australia goes in for an attack, they get blocked and then before I can finish a curse, the ball is heading towards the Australian goal.

Scott Chipperfield, Lucas Neill, Craig Moore and Jason Cullina are just standing up to be counted in the defence. It is all heart and sould and balls stuff. But I am still freaking out with our inability score. Too much.

Guus makes a few changes - Breciano, Aloisi and Kenney all come on. All attacking players, which is a smart move. It is all about getting the goal. If we go down we shall go down all guns firing and all that.

Jordan is looking at me funnily and he comes over whenever I scream and swear. Then.....

79 mins: HARRY scooooooooooooooooooooooores!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk about delivering whe it was needed! He is King Harry for the day.

I am in total pandemonium, I pick up Metria and hug her. I scream and yell. I am as excited as a 12 year old in a topless bar! This makes up for the Brazil miss.

He received a fantastic pass from the right via Brecsiano. He was offside but no flag was raised. This will be raised up probably but this makes up for the handball that occurred a few minutes ago. KARMA!!!

I try to keep a lid on my emotions as I know there are at least 10 minutes of the match left.

Now Croatia go all out searching for the win. They are coming at us like kids attending a fat camp.

84 mins: Kewell gets tackled from behing and Dario Sminic gets his secxond yellow and he is OFF. This makes it 11 vs 10. Surely we can keep the advantage we have, surely...

86 mins: Brett Emerton gives a free kick away by stopping the ball with his arm. That is it for him - OFF. Now its 10 vs 10. The game will be alot more open. Crapola!

The last minutes of thematch were chaos as the ref lost control of the match. One Croatian player (Jospi Simunic) received his 2nd yellow but he was not sent off! There is all sorts of pandemonium, he is making some strange decisions.

3 minutes of extra time and it has already been a slow last 10 minutes. The balls spills tothe goal and Australia thinks they may have scored, but the ref blows his whistle. is it the end of the match I am not sure.

The TV shows the ref giving another yellow to Simunic and then sends him off. This his 3rd yellow and he finally goes.

Australian players are running on the pitch. THE GAME IS OVER!

We are through to the second round against the Azzuri!

I am screaming and yelling. overcome with waves of emotion, happiness, tiredness. I start singing the national anthem.

Football has come of age and I am feeling very patriotic.

The sea is gold today

8 comments:

Sangeeta said...

The amount of screaming and swearing you were doing, it's lucky the neighbours didn't call the police. People at work are all excited talking about the game. Well, at least the ones interested in football. Not too many (way more AFL fans!) but they're vocal enough! Just heard a version of Daddy Cool on the radio, going 'Harry, Harry Kewell ...'

Guess he's the new Aussie hero, eh?

Keropok said...

Well done Australia.
do us a favour and rid the world off the Italian hooligans.

I still bloody hate that Kewell fella tho...

Anonymous said...

hehehe.. nice reporting Big D !
brilliant yet crazy game ! cheers to the Roooosss!

Keropok said...

Germany 2-0 Sweden.

Hope the German's don't fall into the England trap - "1st half good, 2nd half not-so-good"...

Also worrying is that they created so many chances which they didn't put away.

Argentina - if they get through, and I expect they will, touch wood - will be an altogether different proposition.

I expect it'll be a smashing game!

Sangeeta said...

Keropok, why you copy and paste your comments huh? Differentiate lah a bit, from other blogs :P

Vageliser said...

The Argentinians against the Germans should be an exciting last 8 match up. I hope that the Argies will finish them off and the home support wil not be a factor but one never knows. Alas, METRIA is correct....hehehehehe

Keropok said...

Nothing new to say.
But have to say something what?

Say same thing lorr...

Gallivanter said...

I think Argentina will send the Germans home, just hope it's a good game, unlike any England matches. :-)