Sunday, July 15, 2007

Socceroos find Iraq's weapons of mass destruction

Friday night was a depressing night for me. I went to the pub with a few mates to catch the Australia vs Iran game expecting the lads to bounce back from a disappointing opener against Oman.

Instead I came hope p'ed off at what I saw at a poor performance which I blame on the coach Graham Arnold.

The Aussie team have used excuses like the heat, humidity and the opposition's defensive approach as being restrictive to their game. I believe that is a cop out.

Some of the players have come out saying they are at fault, but really it is Arnie's. He has proven he has no game plan and no idea.

First let us talk WC 2006. Back then we were the underdogs so we came out defensive with a lone striker playing up front supported by a 5 man midfield. However, in the Asian Cup, we are a favourite and as a fav, we have to be more attacking.

What I am trying to say is that Arnie has not changed the game plan to when Hiddink was the coach and that is poor. Even before the tournament, I knew we had to play 2 strikers because of the weather and conditions. One man up front will see 2/3 players marking him when the ball goes near him. The conditions are so hot and humid that he wont have support up there quick enough to pass the ball too.

It is pathetic!

The other aspect to complain about is the tournament preparation. They should have been in the area at least 5-7 days earlier and more importantly took part in at least 2 more practice matches to build their match fitness up.

Again the coach did not do his job in this aspect.

Who knows, they may beat the Thais tomorrow, make it through and to lift the cup. But tactically and preparation wise, we have been poor so far.

All credit to Iraq and Oman, but they were given a hand by the Australian team's coaching staff.


* * * * * *

So Liverpool broke their records to sign Fernando Torres for a reported 20m pounds. A good buy and I hope he does a lot better than the last Fernando that came along. But he is young, quick and a future star in the making.

He has not scored loads of goals in the past but he did not have a supply line as he does now. I am sure the defense at Atletico Madrid is not as strong as Liverpool's. So I am hoping he can grab a few goals and at least get us to challenge for the title this coming season.

Nonetheless, I am sure the ladies will be happy.

WE have also signed Yossi Benayoun and Babel from Ajax. I like Benyaoun and I think he is a great pick up. Everytime we played West Ham he stood out as such a creative force. I look forward to him doing soem damage down our flanks.

I do not know much of Babel but he is a young player with a bright future. I also hope he provides us with some good work down the flanks.

But as most Liverpool supporters know, new players take a while to adapt to the premiership so I do not think these guys will impact positively for us instantly. It shall take time, but the key for the club is to come out firing and not to open such a large gap to the Manure-ians and Chelscum's!!

I can dream can't I.

* * * * * *


Two final notes, I saw Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Great movie and cover the important parts of the book. An intriguing line near the end where Luna Lovegood mentions to Harry that things we think we have lost will come back to us, but not in the way we expect.

Something says to me that this may impact the cses os Sirius Black and Dumbledore? Only a few more sleeps until the last book is upon us!

And lastly, good win by my boys yesterday. A 6-0 win but it was not as easy as that. We played against a good team and had a bit of luck run our way. Well done!! Big game next week and we need the win to consolidate top spot and apply pressure on the top team.

For results visit mcsaweb.com.au

No comments: