Monday, December 25, 2006

The 100th Blog

Christmas this year has coincided with me contemplating what to write for my 100th blog entry. It is quite a milestone when you make 100 runs in a cricket match, when scoring goals in sports and when reaching that age. So I guess writing the 100th blog has to mean something.

However, first things first:

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah and any other holidays that coincide with the 25th December.

As for my 100th entry, I thought I would 10 top ten's. Some are fancy, some are boring but generally these are things I want to share. I have decided not to provide an explanation for all things as I may want to revisit them at a later date and expand some more. Also note that some of these top 10's are not in order or reverse order or something or another. I just see what happens as I type.

So here goes with my 10 top 10's (because it adds up to 100 - get it!!)


Top 10 in paperback

10. Emperor series - historical fiction about Julius Caesar
9. Asterix
8. Robbie Fowler's autobiography
7. The Chronicles of Narnia
6. Any book written about Michael Jordan
5. X-men titles (yeah this old and still reading comics)
4. Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby
3. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
2. Harry Potter - can't wait for number 7!
1. Long Walk to Freedom - The Nelson Mandela Autobiography

Top 10 TV shows:

10. Heroes - its new and I like where it is going!
9. Red Dwarf
8. The Simpsons
7. Blackadder
6. Angel
5. Battlestar Galactica (the new version)
4. Veronica Mars
3. Smallville
2. Star Trek - all series
1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer

10 things I want to do or happen before I die (not in any order)

1. Sky diving
2. Score a goal in a football match with my friends and wife watching
3. See Liverpool play live at Anfield
4. Get up and sing live at my cousins pub in Malaysia (Bojangles)
5. Have another run with the AWESOMES
6. The world to stop paying attention to Paris Hilton and people of her ilk.
7. Watch a world cup in person with Australia playing in it.
8. A cure for cancer because one Uncle and one friend passed away from it and one Aunt managed to beat it - that is 3 people too many to know who have had cancer.
9. Liverpool win the English Premier League
10. People just getting on with people no matter what and people not being nice to people they know because they want something but because it is the right thing to do (hope that last one makes sense)


Top 10 movies

10. Snatch
9. Matrix trilogy
8. X-men Trilogy
7. Quarbani - my favourite hindi movie of all time which I saw when I was 8 or 9
6. Gandhi
5. The lord of the Rings Trilogy
4. Star Trek 2 - The Wrath of Khan
3. Star Wars Episodes 1 to 6
2. Mississippi Burning
1. Do the right thing

Top 10 musical artists who I would listen to

10. Nirvana
9. Public Enemy
8. John Legend
7. The Jackson 5
6. Arrested Development
5. Smashing Pumpkins
4. Stevie Wonder
3. Prince
2. U2
1. Michael Jackson

I was contemplating a top 10 of songs and albums but that was too difficult given the variety and numbers out there - this is better saved for another time. Instead I embarked on making a list of musical artists who I enjoy listening to. Some are dead and some do not perform anymore but their music is all that matters.

Top 10 people who I am most grateful for having in my life

1. My wife
2. Mum, Dad,my sister and brother.
3-10 (not in any order).
  • DM, Parv and Tharan (also known as the Awesomes;
  • Clarence J - for helping me settle into Melbourne and for being a top fella to know;
  • The Tatla's of Taylors Lakes - for they really helped me feel like a part of their family when I moved to Melbourne and will forever be grateful to them even thugh the last couple of years they have not seen to much of me;
  • Lena John;
  • Sunil and Sushil - for all the good memories and times we have had;
  • Jes, Sandog and Raj - good times and good friends here in Melbourne;
  • Harry and Jen Chemay; and
  • My football team.

10 things that annoy me

10. Overzealous people who try to force their beliefs on you.
9. People who have no belief system
8. People who take themselves and life way to seriously
7. People who complain and bitch about something but never do anything about it.
6. Football players who do not respect the umpires decision and carry on like twits, especially after I tell them not to talk back to the referee
5. Cruelty to animals - the thought of anyone hurting my Jordan makes me angry!
4. George W Bush
3. Ironic by Alannis Morisette - it so missed the point about what irony is about
2. John Howard
1. People who will not open their mind and will not change for the betterment of society

10 places I love to be at or be doing if I was not at work (all these events involve my wife of course)

10. On the pitch coaching (some would say screaming at) the football team
9. Cottesloe Beach
8. Margaret River
7. Adelaide with the big fella!
6. Yum Cha at Dragonboat Restaurant
5. At the movies watching the latest releases
4. Down the Mornington Penninsula
3. KL - for the shopping and being around my family there.
2. Perth
1. At my parents house in Perth


10 reasons why I heart Liverpool Football Club

10. Being the most decorated club in England
9. What LFC is all about
8. Following them for over 20 years
7. The Rafalution and the possibilities it offers
6. The rivalry with Manchester United
5. The mystic and power of Anfield - as witnessed when we played Chelsea in the 2005 Champions League final
4. The KOP
3. "You'll never walk alone"
2. Robbie Fowler
1. Steven Gerrard


10 things to do in 2007

10. Work more and stop surfing the net/chatting on msn/emailing people
9. Finish redecorating the house
8. Travel somewhere apart from Perth or Malaysia
7. Spell better on my blog
6. Watch less TV
5. Catch up with my cousin Steven and try not to torment him about the Ashes or about the English football team.
4. Stop procrastinating so much
3. Write more and get more articles published with Sportingo
2. Get fit and lose weight
1. Become a father (no one is pregnant yet)


So that is my 100th blog. Hope you enjoyed it. Also let me take this opportunity to wish you a Happy New 2007!

5 comments:

anjali* said...

What is it about Christmas that made you super duper verbose? Hm?

And all the best with the fatherhood bit. It may help if you work on the procastination bit and a little harder on the action bit. Heh.

Merry Christmas, mate!

Anonymous said...

You should watch PRISON BREAK when you have the chance. I'm sure it'll appear on your top 10 TV shows. :-) Happy New Year mate!

Unknown said...

HAPPY 100TH POST! I can't believe buffy beat THE TREK, but then again it is your top 10 and i've just watched one too many episode of buffy. Also, I'm ignoring your post on the ashes
*sulks*

Vageliser said...

Anjali - the increase in verboseness comes due to the unrequited extra time I have to myself given the lack of work related activities

Gallivanter - i am still going throught the first series and must admit I like it very much and who knows ater season 2 it may make the list

Sherryn- omg, you have become a pom, a hated rival...hmm....oh well...get used to the losing against the arrogant Aussies. I await the next football match between us, the last one was pure comedy!

Now I hope the html tags worked otherwise this looks silly.

spiller said...

i recommend Grey's Anatomy. awesome show.