Sunday, August 13, 2006

A sad ending to the trip

A sad event occurred last night as we were returned home. My nani/grandmother (my mum's mother) passed away. She left this world at about 9pm last night (11pm here in Melbourne) and I found out about it this morning.

It only took a few moments for the memories of her to engulf me and this wave of emotion overcame me. My thoughts are primarly of the first 6/7 years of life, when she used to look after me, my cousins and my brother and sister. The memories from ym childhood are centrered around spending times with my cousins but during the working week I remember my nani used to look after us.

Although sad that her long life has come to an end, I feel happy that she passed away last night while my mum and aunts were around. She was due to return to her nursing home today and to pass away there would have been terrible and unfair.

Last night she was blessed, she was with her some of her family, her daughters who came down from Australia (my mum) and England (my aunt of course). If my mum and Aunt were not there she would have been at the nursing home.

The last 2 weeks she has been surrounded by her daugthers and some of her grandchildren, and although she may not have been able to see us or communicate with us, I hope she could FEEL us! Feel her family were around and that she was loved. I think that she sensed/knew that she would be returning to the nursing home today and would be alone. When she left this world, she left knowing her family was with her. That feels right and kind and correct in a way.

I knew when I left my Aunt's house that this would be the last time I would see her alive. But to have this happen after 24 hours is a shock.

So rest in peace Naniji. You leave the world with 5 daughters, 3 sons, 15 grandchildren and 7 great-grandchildren and growing!

2 comments:

Keropok said...

My deepest condolences, Mr D and Metria.

What a life well lived. Rest in peace, Naniji!

sherrynkb said...

Hello - thank you for your v. nice comment (which i pointed out to everyone) about my tribute to nani-ji on my blog - but I like yours as well... I'm sure she was v. happy to see you before she passed away. It WAS great that she passed away surrounded by family! She will live on in our memories...