Saturday, August 05, 2006

Its sad sometimes

My Nani, my mum's mother is well into her 80's. I do not know her exact age because he date of birth was not recorded. So we kind of know what age she is.

My image of her is of a loving grandmother who would always be of her holding my head while kissing my cheeks. It is a wonderful memory that I hope to keep forever. As a child I remember her vividly as she would look after me, my sister and cousin when our parents were at work.

The last time I saw her was about 5 or 6 years ago, until recently. The last few years have not been kind to her as her memory is fading and the happiness I use to see has disappeared. Earlier this week, I saw her at my Aunt's place where she is being looked after by my mum and her sisters for a couple of weeks.

When I looked into her eyes I could tell she did not know where she was or what she was feeling. I felt like she was somewhere and she was not really happy. Her memories must be gone and that is truly sad for her. She raised 3 sone and 5 daughters and in turn their children. She had a tough life and her marriage was not the best. But she knew that love would do wonders.

Yet the greatest thing she did was love her grandchildren.

I remember when she stayed with us in Perth for sometime, everytime we came home from school or with ourt friends she would give us a hug and kiss of on the cheeks a lot. Sometimes 2, 3, 4, 5 times. She was always happy to see us. A person feels wonderful when they are greeted like that.

When I look back on those times, I feel sad that she has now come back to this state where she can not recognise where she is and who she is with.

Life is like that sometimes.

No comments: