Wednesday, February 02, 2005

The end of the dribble

Today was the first day where I did not get to pick up my weekly dose of Pro Basketball Today. I have been collecting this newspaper, once a week for the past 7 years and it was a ritual I enjoyed. A wonderful paper with the latest NBA, NBL and other basketball related news that helped to provide me with an adequate basketball fix.

However, the paper only serviced die hard fans and was not profitable to continue publication. So it’s a death to a “friend” who provided me with some a range of views and reviews on basketball related matters that were not available in the main stream media.

I guess this also reflects the current state of ball in Oz. Where once a Saturday afternoon would be filled with an NBA game and highlights of local basketball, now I wait for the once, maybe twice weekly showing of basketball on ESPN.

Its sad for die hard fans and even the casual fans, when only so little of a exciting and athletic sport is shown. The movements, the game, the strategy and the finishes make it a very exciting sport to watch.

To the editor and writers of PBT, thanks for the words and stories the last 7 years