Tuesday, October 14, 2008

JW

Most other days my thoughts centre on who will win the US presedential election, when Dubai will buy Liverpool and who Liverpool is playing are in my thoughts. I also sometimes wander about my lot in life, have I done my housework and if I am too much trouble for my wife.

Then you get a day like today. A day that shows you how fragile this existence we are in really is.

See today as I received a note from one of my soccer boys. (Actually I should not call him a "boy" as he is only a few years younger than me but really, anyone that plays for me is considered a friend or "boy" or one of my "lads".) He informed the team that one of our team mates has been diagnosed with a brain tumour and has been in hospital for a while.

This player, (who shall be called JW here) had a operation last week and although they got most of it out there is still something in there. Worse still it is still malignant so this means that he will have to go through some chemotherapy.

When I read the note, I could not believe it. I had to read it a few times to let it sink in. For one of my boys was seriously sick!

This is not a broken bone or a knee injury. This was life-death stuff.

Even now after a day of regurgitating this news I am still emotional about the whole situation. The fact that someone I know and see most weekends is in this situation really gets to me.

You may not know JW but he has an abundance of determination and heart. So if anyone will give his all in this situation it will be him.

He will need help to remain focussed and staying positive, and I know his girlfriend and family will be there at his side.

As his team mates all we can really do is keep his spirits up and letting him know we care and he will be in our thoughts and prayers.

But this just iillustrates how fragile life can be and how we really should not get so caught up in things like work, money, economic crisis because we could one day have something serious happen to us or a family member or a friend. A situation that shows us how fleeting life can be.

i pray that JW gets through this and will be back doing his step overs soon.

No comments: