Tuesday, May 29, 2007

When being a man is not really being a man?

It seems that the lines between man and women, between gay and straight are intertwining more often these days. A news term entered the fray some few eyars ago, the word “Metrosexual”. To most this phenomenon was made famous by one Mr David Beckham - he of the famous right foot who could bend it.

Seems he also bent a few other things.

Now Dev Vagel, here, is not anti-metrosexual or anti-gay or homophobic. Matter of fact, I would find it very cool to have a gay friend. I am not worried if someone is gay and all I care about is that person is a good human being.

I am also realistic enough to know that anyone gay would not an inkling of wanting to seduce or sleep with me. But really I just take people as who they are and if they a bastard then it does not matter if you straight or not – I probably dowan fren you!

This morning on the way to work we were listening to the radio and they were discussing the habits of some metrosexuals. I think its fine for a man to look after himself. To go for a facial (I do it), to go for waxing (I don’t do it), massages (too expensive here to do), pedicure, manicure, haircuts (I definitely do not do that anymore) etc.

Anyway, this girl was discussing her boyfriend and mentioned him visiting the hair salon every Friday, getting waxed every 2 weeks (back, legs and even that area down there), going for facials, spending time on the weekend looking for curtains and furniture.

Now that is all fine because we all should live in a nice place with some colour coordination but my concern with him was he is becoming less of a man. Less of a protector and more vain.

Maybe it is because I grew in Australia where we celebrate manliness, where we like to act as a bloke that I find this kind of behaviour head shakling.

But before we all overreact and call me anti-something let me say that I do undergo a facial once in a while and have been doing so for over 10 years. I also like to coordinate furniture and clothes (although I do a bad job of this) and I tried to make myself look good.

So I understand this metrosexual thing is all about.

But I still try to retain my manhood, I try not show that I am a man and if my woman is in trouble she knows that I can take care of her. Plus I am not trying to be as pretty as or prettier than her.

When I play a sport I am not worried about my hair or how shinny my head is. I am not worried about how I look afte3r the game (I have seen a few people change out of their sports gear into jeans and nice clothes and then drown themselves with cologne).

Maybe it is a generational thing and I missed out on a few things?

Ultimately it comes down to vanity of the man. When is looking after yourself too much???

I am not talking about a man needing to go out there and start a fight or down the pub and swig a bottle of scotch or arm wrestle to prove his manliness. I just thing as men there are certain things we need to maintain.

Having a nice haircut and the softest of hands are not essential.

10 comments:

anjali* said...

Hey. I donno much nor care much about metrosexual men, but when you write "...and if my woman is in trouble she knows that I can take care of her.", you make yourself sound like a Neanderthal Man. LOL.

Anonymous said...

I think it makes him sound sweet. But then again I'm totally biased.

And deserving of a few foot massages now.

Unknown said...

Hey, i meant that in the most positive note la...aiyo.

Anonymous said...

Anjali - how u know i got a hairy back?

Metria - awwwww. thansk will appreciate the foot massage.

Keropok said...

WTF is all this nonsense?

Can we go back to talking about things that really matter, i.e. football and why we f**king hate each other???

Anonymous said...

keropok - just remember that my wife is a man united fan!! haha.

Keropok said...

Your wife is no such thing! She's actually a closet Everton and Man City fan...

Sangeeta said...

I am a Man Utd fan... as much a fan as Keropok is.

Keropok said...

Oh really? Since when? Apr 2007, when we were at the cusp of winning it again?

Sangeeta said...

No, a long long time ago... from the 80s itself. You just can't bear the fact that I like the same team as you ... deal with it! :P